Friday, August 6, 2010

Back in the saddle.

I was determined to drive the ///M6 to work this morning. I figure that the problem that occured earlier in the week were the result of leaving the hood unlatched while the car was parked outside. In my defense the M6 hood opens backwards (like most 80's BMWs ) and is pretty flush even when unlatched. That being said, I should have ensured she was buttoned up tightly. I went outside at 6 a.m. to start her and let her run for a few minutes to see how she was feeling. The burble of the S38 engine is intoxicating. Even at idle. Even at 6 a.m. with not a creature in the suburbs stirring, besides the rabbits that don't even get out of my way when I'm walking to the car. The deer that eat my wife's flowers even seem to enjoy the Bavarian goodness. The drive to work was uneventful except for an uncomfortable rise in temperature to slightly right of center. I will have to "newspaper test" the fan clutch, even though I am pretty sure I had Martin Motorsports change that when they did my valve adjustment less than 1,000 miles ago. The Zinnaberrot (Cinnabar red) 1988 M6 still turns heads like Monica Bellucci at a random family Barbecue. I call it a Whatsthat because people always stare like: "What IS that?" Upon closer inspection they say things like "There was an M6 in '88? Really?!?" It as if the first M6 was a Cold War secret. I would love to restore this car to factory freshness. For now I will drive it for the sheer fun of it. I find my self sneaking peeks at it through my office window; that is the sign of a beautiful machine.

No comments: