Monday, May 4, 2009

(sigh)

Well, I got underneath the E30, had all my tools ready, parts ready, got the exhaust heatshield off, and hit my first roadblock.
I had visions of when I did the Guibo on the E28: piece of cake. (6 bolts in front, 2 bolts in middle, 4 bolts in rear)
What I failed to realize is that the E30 has a "vibration damper" around the guibo that prevents you from getting to the back of the 6 measly bolts that hold the driveshaft to the transmission. So, I'm trying to finagle it loose, and just haven't gotten there yet. I don't want to have to take the rest of the car apart to do so, though. Looks like I might have to do a little.
What makes it even tougher is that the bolts have become a little deformed from contact with the yoke on the driveshaft. I'll post a picture later, but I should have done this a LONG time ago... I'm just glad it didn't leave me stranded somewhere. (Well, I guess I'm kinda stranded with one car, right now...)
Oh, and the Center support bearing is TOAST, too. Good thing I got one of those!

Edit: I spent a little bit of time on the E28 this weekend as well. Got everything out of the cab, put together the euro main console, (looks nice) and got most of the euro front valence together(looks nice, too). If it would ever stop raining, I could put the carpet out and get it dry, once and for all, and get it installed!! Of course, I need to see if I can find the leak on my car, going to check out the sunroof drains, maybe chase some weedwacker wire down through there to clear the passages...

No comments: